Okanagan Mission Secondary is pleased to provide students with the opportunity to learn and enjoy the game of golf. Canadian Professional Golf Association instructor(s) team up with teachers to provide a high level learning environment for student athletes.
- The program’s long-term goal is not to develop professional or international caliber athletes. Rather, the outcome is to enhance a student’s confidence and self-esteem with individual golf skills, to promote a life long sport and to link athletics to academics.
- Students receive course credits as per their grade level.
- The program is open to players of all skill levels, male or female; however, the main focus will be to attract keen students who wish to improve their skills and wish to maximize their own potential both on and off the course.
- Each student will be required to pay fees for the program to cover instructor’s wages, facility fees, transportation and program equipment/supplies. Each student will also be required to supply their own set of golf clubs with a bag that has a cover.
Course Description Before Spring Break
Prior to the opening of the golf course/driving range, approximately before spring break, instruction will occur at OKM. A CPGA golf professional will come to the school and deliver content related to:
- Healthy living and nutrition
- Rules, ethics and etiquette
- The history and physics of golf
- Swing analysis
- Motion, flexibility and strength training
Course Description After Spring Break
After the opening of the golf course/driving range, approximately after spring break, instruction will occur at The Okanagan Golf Club. Two to three CPGA golf professionals will deliver instruction on course (game) management, driving and iron play, sand/wedge play and putting. Students will be divided in to equal groups and will rotate daily through these stations.
- In the morning, students will board the bus at 9:00 AM to head to the golf course. The bus will leave the golf course promptly at t.b.a. to head back to OKM.
- In the afternoon, students will board the bus at t.b.a. to head to the golf course. The bus will leave the golf course promptly at 2:30 PM to head back to OKM.